Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 cup rice
1.5 cup water
2 tablespoons salt
large mixing bowl
pot with a large bottom and heavy, tight fitting lid
- Place rice in bowl. Fill bowl halfway with water. Rinse rice by agitating with fingers. Drain and repeat 5 times.
- After last rinse, fill bowl with cold water and let rice soak for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Put rice in pot. Stir in salt and water.
- Heat to boil.
- Place lid on, reduce heat as low as possible. Let cook for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid.
- Remove from heat. Without lifting lid, let sit for 10 more minutes. Enjoy.
The tight lid seal is pretty key. I don't have an iron pot, so I actually turn my heavy mortar upside down and use that to keep the lid on, so there's minimal steam loss. I have to say that the traditional method I've used in the past leaves rice tasting gummy and not uniformly cooked.