Saturday, January 5, 2008

A good rice recipe

I've always been a "add rice to boiling water and simmer for 35 minutes" kind of guy. I mean, that's what it says on most of the boxes or bags of rice, anyway. I recently stumbled upon a great way of cooking rice, particularly white basmati, jasmine, or other white long grain rice. It definitely gave rice that fluffy boost. Instructions scale fine. I've doubled the ratio with same cook time with no ill effects.

Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup rice
1.5 cup water
2 tablespoons salt
large mixing bowl
pot with a large bottom and heavy, tight fitting lid

Instructions:

  • Place rice in bowl. Fill bowl halfway with water. Rinse rice by agitating with fingers. Drain and repeat 5 times.
  • After last rinse, fill bowl with cold water and let rice soak for 30 minutes. Drain.
  • Put rice in pot. Stir in salt and water.
  • Heat to boil.
  • Place lid on, reduce heat as low as possible. Let cook for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid.
  • Remove from heat. Without lifting lid, let sit for 10 more minutes. Enjoy.

The tight lid seal is pretty key. I don't have an iron pot, so I actually turn my heavy mortar upside down and use that to keep the lid on, so there's minimal steam loss. I have to say that the traditional method I've used in the past leaves rice tasting gummy and not uniformly cooked.

No comments: